Urad dal / Uzhunnu - 2 cups
Green Chillies - 5-6 finely chopped
Ginger - 1 small piece finely chopped
Pearl Onions - 3-4 finely chopped (optional)
Curry Leaves - 1-2 strands finely chopped
Peppercorns - 10-15 nos
Oil - for frying
Salt - to taste
- Soak the urad dal/uzhunnu for 4 - 5 hours and grind to a thick batter adding only a small amount of water.
- Add green chillies, ginger, pearl onion, curry leaves, peppercorns and salt to the thick batter and mix well.
- Keep the batter aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a deep dish pan. Drop a pinch of batter in the oil and if it rises as soon as it is dropped that means the oil is hot enough to make the vada.
- Wet your hand with some cold water and take a medium size serving of batter. Role the batter into a ball and make a hole in the center with your finger and drop it in the oil immediately after. The stove should be on medium flame otherwise the vada will get burned without getting cooked.
- Fry the vada until it turns golden brown and serve hot with coconut or coriander chutney.